Follow Wally on KickNews!

Kick News - Football News & Transfers

Follow Wally on Twitter!

Followers

Powered by Blogger.
Friday 8 March 2013

"How Hal gets a game, I don't know!" Welcome to Reading

The team at Wally keeps on expanding, and we now welcome back KD. Not only is KD one funny man, but his football knowledge is impressive. Is it due to spending an obscene amount of time watching and playing football? Partially. Is it due to playing a whole lot of Football Manager back in the day? Most certainly.

After Cam's interesting views on Chelsea, we thought we'd ask KD his thoughts on his club. Especially due to the fact he doesn't support a team from the top 4. He's been through some real ups and downs with his team. And by 'down', I don't mean something safe like missing Champions' League qualification. I mean relegation and play-off heartache. For KD supports Reading. The words are now his.

So, it is true. I was born and bred a Manchester United fan; my dad had supported them all his life and like so many young lads, I followed in his footsteps. I had watched Reading several times at Elm Park between the ages of five and ten. Usually this would involve me and my dad in the standing section – I would be on an up-turned milk crate in order to see over the boarding! It was when Reading had a couple of decent seasons under Coppell that I really became interested. I had a season ticket for the two seasons before we were first promoted, and my god did we play some good football. I was falling in love. Eventually, we were promoted and I was turned. It’s not often that someone could consider themselves a ‘glory supporter’ in switching allegiances from Man Utd to Reading. Perhaps ‘doing slightly better’ supporter is more fitting. My half-hearted love affair with Utd was over, and a new passionate tryst with the royals had just begun. We are Reading.

                                        KD was an abnormally-bearded 5-year-old at Elm Park

Favourite Reading player of all time? Phil Parkinson. Fighter through and through, and a quality little player (and manager, at that!)

Favourite and worst Reading memory? Favourite: either promotion season (impossible to choose). Worst: the first, and hopefully only, relegation.

What was your reaction when the new owner took over and big players did not arrive? Delighted. Perhaps not the response you’d expect, but I really value supporting a club that performs with dignity inside and outside the club. I would hate to become another Pompey or Leeds, and even if we had signed players, there is no guarantee we’d have stayed up. I will be watching QPR’s run-in with interest!

What do you like the most about being a Reading fan? That they are my proper local club.

What do you like the least about being a Reading fan? There aren’t many people that you can have an in-depth ‘club chat’ with!

Brian McDermott: more of a hero than Steve Coppell? I absolutely loved Coppell, but Brian is there or thereabouts. McDermott: chief scout to premier league manager in two seasons. Unbelievable!

Put your hands up for Coppell...a lovely human being...Tadadadada, Tadadadada.....

Finish the sentence: Adam Le Fondre is...definitely a super-sub. But there’s nothing wrong with that – Solskjaer won Man Utd the Champions League as a super-sub.

What is your opinion on Danny Guthrie and rumours that he refused to play at the start of the season? I believe them and I am not his greatest fan. He is a ball player and does not suit Reading’s style. Sorry Danny.

Pogrebnyak: failure or success? Success. He may not have maintained his goal scoring form but anybody that follows Reading will see what he offers the team: a target man with the ability to bring more dangerous players into the game (by more dangerous, I mean Kebe or Le Fondre!)

Pavel 'The Pog' Pogrebnyak. An old school striker if ever there was one.


What are fans' views of John Madejski? The majority of Reading fans, including myself, have a lot of love in their hearts for sir John! He built the club a brand new stadium from his own pocket and has seen them to two premier league stints. He’s an old lad now, and just wants to chill with Cilla and a pint. Fine by me.

Madejski: just let him chill with Cilla. And with those hats, who wouldn't?

Name your favourite Reading side of all time 

                                                               Shaka Hislop

Graeme Murty                    Adrian Williams                Ivar Ingimarsson                  Nicky Shorey

Glen Little                           Phil Parkinson                   Steve Sidwell                       Jimmy Kebe

                                          Trevor Senior                    Kevin Doyle

Manager: Steve Coppell


What do you make of your club's reputation? I’m not sure I can put my finger on our reputation. If it is of an austere yo-yo team, it’s probably accurate. I’m comfortable with that.

Favourite and least favourite manager? Favourite: Steve Coppell. Least favourite: Mark McGhee and Alan Pardew. Both massive twats


In our Out?

Adam Federici –In. dodgy but the best we have. Keep the faith, he’ll come good.

Chris Gunter –In. Young and all guns blazing. Needs to rein in his attacking enthusiasm whilst we are fighting around the relegation zone.

Nicky Shorey – In. Knows the club through and through and have the faith in his commitment to the cause.

Jem Karacan – In. In my opinion, our greatest prospect and most tenacious player.

Alex Pearce – In. Born and bred in Reading. Over-rated by many Reading fans, in my opinion, but still a decent young player with potential.

Adrian Mariappa – Out. Poor positioning and not quite good enough for premier league football, it pains me to say.

Pavel Pogrebnyak –In. Sure, he hasn’t quite maintained the prolific scoring form with which he began his English career, but that doesn’t mean he’s a flop. Still puts himself about for the team and is a reasonable target man. I just hope his wages aren’t sky high!

Mikele Leigertwood – Out. In my opinion, Reading’s weakest regular starter. I feel the only reason he remains in the first XI is his height (all our other centre mid’s are under 6 foot) and I do appreciate you need a man to win the high balls. Mikele, though, is not good enough to run a premier league midfield.

KD doesn't feel so much love for Mikele.

Adam le Fondre –In. With his recent goal scoring record, it doesn’t need me to talk his form up.

Noel Hunt –Out. I feel Noel is our weakest striker. I feel bad saying it, because he is extremely committed, but he lacks the quality required to win a match at this level.

Jobi McAnuff – In. inexplicably, in my opinion, Jobi has had a lot of stick from a large proportion of the Reading faithful this season. Jobi is our captain, skilful, committed and has been happy playing out of position for a large portion of the season. Fickle fans.

Garath McCleary – Out. The step up from the championship has, unfortunately, been too great for Garath.

Jimmy Kebe –In. Still one of the quickest players in the league and one of our most reliable match winners.

Sean Morrison – Out. See ‘Adrian Mariappa’.

Type 'Sean Morrison reading' in Google, and this is what you get. Perhaps a symbol of why KD would say 'Au Revoir'.

Jay Tabb –Out. No one will give more energy and enthusiasm than Jay Tabb. Unfortunately, though, he lacks the quality to compete at this level, in my opinion. Expect Tabb to move clubs in the next window.

Simon Church- In. I rate Simon Church; I would like to see him getting more first team opportunities. I think he has many of the same qualities as Shane Long – a very balanced striker with an opportunistic eye for goal.

Hal Robson-Kanu – Out. As I used to say: ‘How Hal gets a game, I don’t know’. Championship winger. He has some pace, decent passing and average crossing ability.

Danny Guthrie – Out. I was disappointed with the stories at the beginning of the season (which I believe) and feel that, although he apologised, Danny is more suited to ball-playing team where his ego can be massaged on a more regular basis. I feel Guthrie is not a midfield enforcer nor a playmaker and would better suit a midfield where he can be ‘carried’ by, say, a Cabaye.

Alex McCarthy – In. A talented young keeper with potential. Federici’s successor.

Ian Harte – In. So many of our goals have come from Harte’s wicked set piece ability and despite his unimaginable lack of pace, Ian is still a massive part of our team.

Ian Harte running at full speed. That's why the photo isn't blurry.


Shaun Cummings – In. When Shaun first came in from Chelsea in his late teens, he looked a long way from the finished article; and he was. But, a few years later and Cummings has been on the weights and improved his tactical awareness. I feel he will, or at least should, be at Reading for a few years to come.

Brynjar Gunnarsson –Out. An exceptional professional, but well past his best. League 1, snap him up.

Stephen Kelly –In. I like Kelly’s attitude. Comes in from Fulham and immediately fights 100% for the cause at a club that could soon be in the championship. Currently, our most consistent and reliable defender.

Hope Akpan – In. What a find! having been snapped up by former scout McDermott after seeing him run Crawley Town’s midfield in our cup game against the minnows earlier in the season, Akpan’s Everton academy background was clear. Hope has strength, skill and a good tackle and a decent pass. I think Hope will prove to be a bargain signing.

Daniel Carrico – In. I hope Carrico turns out to be a cracker, but I fear he may take too long to become accustomed to the physical side of the league, and I worry he may stay on the fringes of the first team only to be sold in a couple of seasons.

Nick Blackman – In. another interesting signing by McDermott in the same vein as Hope Akpan. Prolific at Sheffield United, he needs a manager that can inspire confidence following the large jump in leagues. If Brian can be the man to do this, I see Blackman surprising one or two – Reading fans included!

Mikkel Andersen – In. See ‘Alex McCarthy’. Reading’s academy has a habit of churning out decent young keepers. It’s just a shame you can only play one at a time. More of this Reading academy, but with the centre backs, please.

Jason Roberts – In. I feel Roberts still has something to give Reading, even if that may be in the championship next season.

Stuart Taylor – Out. Give the young lads a go!

You're still a professional footballer!?!?!?




0 comments: